Saturday, January 11, 2014

"How's married life?" and Nesting


Settling into our house and making it feel like ours has been a unique balance. I have always had housemates, or lived alone, and although we have graciously shared items together we always took our belongings when we moved out. This time I am married to that housemate and we make big decisions together. We make decisions about keeping or donating items (although Dylan might think this a little lopsided since he has been great donor to Goodwill as of late haha) and how to decorate. It has been fun and it has been interesting.
Three months of marriage thus far and the question we get asked the most is "How's married life?"
Its good, we have had a few bumps but we have immensely enjoyed spending so much time together. A few have asked what the biggest challenge has been so far. I have jokingly said our "creative differences" but it's more the truth than a joke. Dylan is a very talented artist and I am so proud of what he can do and does on a regular basis. I would consider myself mildly creative, not an artist by any means, but colors, shapes and balance definitely interest me. So what happens when a strong-willed, mildly creative girl marries a quick-acting, talented artist boy?
C r e a t i v e  D i f f e r e n c e s .


Through the 5 years we have been together we continue to learn to appreciate the other ones style and what they bring to the table and we continue to find balance (as I am sure we will for the rest of our lives together.)
Don't get me wrong, we have plenty in common and these differences are minor. The things we have in common get us really excited about the various home improvements we have going on. The things we differ on cause us to take a bit of time to mull it over and either agree together or come up with a compromise. Our home is becoming just that, "our home."  I am excited! Just like our wedding seemed to exhibit both of our personalities our home is now taking on those characteristics.
If you follow me on pinterest you might have noticed I have been gathering a lot of inspiration for different house projects as of late.


Ignore the primer coat in the photo above, we are painting this week! I am anxious to see how some of the rooms come together!
I like to organize things till I think I have it how I like it. I have done this a couple times to a couple different places in the house and I'm still getting there. It is actually very calming and almost therapeutic to me to clean and organize.  Am I crazy? Or am I just a major nester?


My nightstand: I might actually graduate to a real one some day but until then I am sticking with this old crate I found on the side of the road. Also a glass of sweet tea is always within reach.


Scout had a little operation this week so there will be no more little Scouts running about someday. When we brought her home from Animal Rescue League she was plum tuckered out. Emma spent the evening being so tender with her. She seemed to know that Scout needed to rest and she just quietly watched over her for the couple days following. It was the sweetest!


Best buds nap together right?



-Zon

2 comments:

  1. i love the look of crates as sidetables and stands :) it's always fun decorating a home but it can be challenging trying to incorporate your partner's tastes!

    Emmett - Hippie Lace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple and functional, they're great!

      Delete

ShareThis

linkwithin

linkwithin