Thursday, March 21, 2013

Living on the cheap : Tall girl problems



I shop in the men's section, a lot. Largely due to me being 6 foot 1. It's handy because I sew a bit so I can get something oversized and take it in and I don't have to worry about whether or not it's long enough, a problem I often have with woman's clothes.  I try to dress as modest as possible. I used to be real self conscience of my height and felt like a freak for the better part of jr. high and high school when I was so much taller than my classmates, boys included. 
I'm 28 now, I can finally keep my pants up (most days) and have been able to come by some long enough jeans now and then. But womens shirts are typically pretty short so I layer a lot and tend to have a tank under most of my tops just to make sure I'm covered. Modest is hottest right?


We used to have a Gap in Joplin and I was seriously upset when I heard they were leaving because it was the only place I could buy tall jeans for a reasonable price (the clearance racks).
Every now and then I will pop into a Gap to peruse the clearance to see if any XL (extra longs) are in there, usually to no avail. Shortly after Christmas I swung by the one close to me here in Pittsburgh and I found some XXLs, I would be lying if I said I didn't squeal a little. Dark denim is my favorite and extra extra longs and for only $25? Yes please! Too good to be true. These babies fit like a charm. 


Beanie: thrifted
Men's cardigan: thrifted
Tank: anberlin - music festival
Denim: Gap - clearance
Duck boots: thrifted 

The cardigan/sweater will be in my shop soon. I just need some warm weather to happen so I can take some pictures. I have some fantastic dresses that I can't wait to share!

::UPDATE:: Sweater has been sold! Thanks so much

-Zon

6 comments:

  1. Love this outfit! You look great! I wish I was taller. Being short is not so much fun most of the time. lol And honestly, I wish I could sew so I could shop in the mens section. Especially at Target they always have awesome t shirts over there but they are always too wide so I never buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can teach yourself pretty easily, just pick up a working sewing machine on craigslist or at the thrift store and start messing around, or you tube it. You're crafty, you can do it!

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain! 6' 1 here too! Alloy.com has been great! I also just found out New York and Company carries longs, that actually fit to!!! Gaps aren't long enough for me. inseam 36 probs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, it's good to have a support group. amen?

      Delete
  3. I am hoping the same best effort from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing skills has inspired me. brians club

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly you write, I will address you'll find exciting and interesting things on similar topics. sewing machine reviews

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

linkwithin

linkwithin