Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Dry Shampoo DIY tutorial

I've had a few people asking (more like harassing me) for the Dry shampoo recipe so here it is.
This recipe is super simple and easy to make and perfect for those of you who don't take showers very often (you know who you are). It would make a perfect gift for that greasy band guy that needs a little help in the grease department to someone who is on bedrest and wants to stay somewhat kempt.  I use it all the time, this has actually helped my hair a lot by cutting down the times I wash my hair with harsh chemicals, and this way I know exactly what is going into my hair, it just feels more healthy. And it's made with common household ingredients! So simple!



Dry Shampoo Recipe

To start you will need:
  • 3/4 cup oats, you can pick whatever kind you want I just used Naturals oats
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • a blender, I used a magic bullet type blender
  • essential oils (optional)
  • a container of some sort to put the final product in. Go to the thrift store, I'm sure you could find the cutest container.  Jelly jars are perfect but you can also use old candle jars with lids that help seal. Search around your house and get resourceful.

Get started
  1. First pour the oats in in the blender and blend till it is very fine and powdery. You don't want any chunks because it does not make a good consistancy when using it later.
  2. Next add the baking soda, you may substitute this for corn starch but i've found that baking soda seems to work better, but feel free to experiment around see what works best with your hair.  Blend well.
  3. Then add a few drops of essential oils. This is optional, not necessary but definitely makes it smell nice.  I used Now brand 100% pure penny royal which you can get at any natural foods store. Blend again.
  4. Pour mixture into designated container. Leave plain with lid or add some fabric to pretty it up and give as a gift.




and you're done!

To apply:
take a small amount on your finger tips and just work into the dirty (aka greasy) parts of your hair and work through, repeat. Make sure you work through thoroughly because you don't want to leave powdery residue in your hair, especially if you have dark hair. Work the powder throughout.  If you're nervous the first time using it try applying it over the shower or the sink the first time.
I have thin fine hair so it definitely helps giving it a little body also. 

Hopefully all that made sense and I would love to  hear how it works for you and if you find it useful.

enjoy!
zon

9 comments:

  1. This is clearly for a targeted demographic. haha And it still catches me off guard & cracks me up when I catch myself saying "Wait, you really haven't showered for a week? A month? 4 years? But I JUST hugged you..." What a funny, strange life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, I guess I never thought about making it myself and shoot it is so easy peasy;)
    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying this!!! I just washed my hair yesterday so it will be awhile but I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award. To read more about it visit this site http://dreamsoffae.blogspot.com/

    You can read my latest post too to see how it is done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This takes me waaay back to the 60's when I used cornmeal as a dry shampoo and brushed it out with a nylon covered brush (think panty hose 'cept they weren't around in those days we used garters with our nylons)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome for those of us with unruly hair. If I take the time to straighten it will not get wet for 3-4 days.

    So weird people think dry shampoo is 'targetted' lots of people use it and spend an ungodly amount on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:54 PM

    I'm going to try this. I'm a doctor and when I am at the hospital for a 24 hr call, my hair can get a bit oily and I long to have it feel a bit cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy so many people can use this recipe! Thank you all for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!THANKS!!!!!! antminer s17 pro setup

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

linkwithin

linkwithin