Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Gluten Free Tuna Casserole


I won't lie, I like myself a good tuna mac. I used to make a large pot of it over a weekend and take it for work lunches that week. I would make it with 2 boxes of mac and cheese, 2 cans of tuna and 1 can of cream of mushroom. Easy.
Now that I have to eat gluten free I haven't had it in a while. Gluten free mac and cheese can be a bit pricey and canned cream of mushroom is pricey as well. I know that the original "glutened" recipe is loaded with a lot of foreign crap so I decided to remedy that this past weekend.
This recipe was super simple and is easy to get creative and add more or other ingredients.

You will need:
a bag of your choice gluten free noodles
2 tbs gluten free all purpose flour
2 tbs butter
a small can of organic mushrooms drained
2 cans of tuna drained
1 1/2 c. milk
1 1/2 cup grated mild cheddar cheese

Boil your noodles till soft in a large pot. While noodles are boiling make a roux in a separate sauce pan using your butter and flour, add cheese and milk slowly stirring while you go, make sure your roux is smooth and well blended then add mushrooms. 
Drain noodles, add roux and stir till noodles are fully covered in your roux.
Salt and pepper to taste.

I don't feel like it took any longer than it would have making the old recipe plus I feel a little better knowing what is going into it (and my body) and not something I can't pronounce.

What would you add?

-Zon

1 comment:

  1. Peas! A little sweet addition! And if I were splurging, some crushed up potato chips. Looks yummy! Where do you do most of your grocery shopping in the winter? We have a Trader Joe's that offers reasonably priced organic options out of season.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

linkwithin

linkwithin